What is Ajax?
Usually in all the web applications, the user enters the data into the form and then clicks on the submit button to submit the request to the server. Server processes the request and returns the view in new page ( by reloading the whole page). This process is inefficient, time consuming, and a little frustrating for you user if the only the small amount of data exchange is required. For example in an user registration form, this can be frustrating thing for the user, as whole page is reloaded only to check the availability of the user name. Ajax will help in making your application more interactive. With the help of Ajax you can tune your application to check the availability of the user name without refreshing the whole page.Understanding the technology behind Ajax
Ajax is not a single technology, but it is a combination of many technologies. These technologies are supported by modern web browsers. Following are techniques used in the Ajax applications.
How Ajax Works?
- Asynchronous Call to the Server:
Most of the Ajax application used the XMLHttpRequest object to send the request to the web server. These calls are Asynchronous and there is no need to wait for the response to come back. User can do the normal work without any problem.
When user first visits the page, the Ajax engine is initialized and loaded. From that point of time user interacts with Ajax engine to interact with the web server. The Ajax engine operates asynchronously while sending the request to the server and receiving the response from server. Ajax life cycle within the web browser can be divided into following stages:
Benefits of Ajax
- User Visit to the page: User visits the URL by typing URL in browser or clicking a link from some other page.
- Initialization of Ajax engine:
When the page is initially loaded, the Ajax engine is also initialized. The Ajax engine can also be set to continuously refresh the page content without refreshing the whole page.
- Event Processing Loop:
- Browser event may instruct the Ajax engine to send request to server and receive the response data
Ajax is new very promising technology, which has become extremely popular these days. Here are the benefits of using Ajax:
- Ajax can be used for creating rich, web-based applications that look and works like a desktop application
- Ajax can be used to develop web applications that can update the page data continuously without refreshing the whole page